Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You can now run your windows apps on Mac, Android!

Hi Gang,

I have been posting quite a bit about how things are moving into the direction of being able to stream your windows applications, through the internet, and run them on other operating systems. Mainly, we want to tap into the tablets which majority is running Android and Macs.

Amazon just recently published a blog post showing how you can do just that with Appstream.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/app...ps-on-devices/

From that post:
    Your users can access the applications from devices that run FireOS, Android, Chrome, iOS, Mac OS X, or Microsoft Windows.
    Quick synopsis... Appstream has clients set up for android, mac and windows. Our programs will be delivered through those clients. According to the post, Appstream will run all windows app as is.

I will be testing this out and getting back to you on my results.

I don't know about you, but I feel like I just saw Santa Claus putting gifts under my tree. This is big, very big! Monthly service big! haha

Don't forget, the Pro and higher versions of the Builder has security built in for multi users. I will need to rework that to allow multi organizations to setup accounts.

Thomas

This is crazy, I just opened up yahoo and right on the front page there is an article saying Microsoft is setting up a service to stream Windows programs to other devices (android, mac).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/micros...205915781.html

This wouldn't be ideal for what we want. It's priced per user while I think Amazon is based on total time used.

Still, that is where the tech is going which is perfect for us. I have a lot of ideas already for using this service.

Thomas

LOL...hi Thomas
    When i first saw the line , im thinking "steam your window applicator" so thinking oh..he's into
    window cleaning products now HAHA Sounds interesting.
    Saw your video...hoping to get into the auto soon, but this does sound intriguing.
    I think you mentioned it before im sure.
    Thanks for the update...hows the Dog? Seriously...cause im missing my little nomi
    in Australia
    robbie

ps: i think i also read in news Windows 10 will be free to non-commercial users going the way of the
    apple..so, is that true? Been out of it a bit here...thanks God for VPNs HAHA
    Last edited by schmutly; 12-04-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmutly View Post
    LOL...hi Thomas
    When i first saw the line , im thinking "steam your window applicator" so thinking oh..he's into
    window cleaning products now HAHA Sounds interesting.
    Saw your video...hoping to get into the auto soon, but this does sound intriguing.
    I think you mentioned it before im sure.
    Thanks for the update...hows the Dog? Seriously...cause im missing my little nomi
    in Australia
    robbie

ps: i think i also read in news Windows 10 will be free to non-commercial users going the way of the
    apple..so, is that true? Been out of it a bit here...thanks God for VPNs HAHA

Welcome back mate. It's like a reunion here. haha

Oh, this is killer stuff for all of us. I mentioned some other tech that had this potential but there wasn't anything that was supposedly ready to use. I have been watching Amazon's appstream, but it originally talked about some decent changes to the software in order to make it stream.

This announcement said all windows app should run without any changes to them. Now that is what I'm all about. haha

Microsoft just announces doing something similar but they are charging per user. That won't help us. It looks like they are trying to cash in on the average user wanting to use the same programs on multiple devices.

The key takeaway is the tech is there and it's only going to get better when you see Amazon and Microsoft promoting services around it.

Oh, almost forgot, the dog is big and happy. It looks like he may have a ACL problem. I need to get some xrays but is sounds like a common problem with his breed. You still in China?

I'm not sure about Windows 10. I know Microsoft is making asp.net work on linux which also opens up a lot of possibilities. They open sourced the .net core framework to help make it happen. It should be a really interesting year ahead of us with all of these changes.

Thomas

Yep , still in China
    Missing the global phenomenon called seasons lol because here in
    Nanning as its tropical weather its been on average 30 since April
    So that's basically 8 months of summer, and before someone goes well thats GREAT
    try high-humidity as well..sigh! But that's ok, its 5x cheaper to live here and the
    cost of living in Australia has soared, cant believe it.
    Don't know about Canada or America but i guess things have gone up everywhere.

So..not being dumb (yes i am) but in layman's terms does it mean that ANY windows program
    will be albe to run on any device, Android,iPhone,Linux etc...is that's right?
    So programs we create, irrelevant of the developing environment (VB or Dev Express or Net Framework)
    they'll ALL work through this system?
    and how fast would they run? What about Databases and stuff...? Just trying to fully get it.
    Make out for a minute im from retard central...whats this mean for EVERYONE and how far away
    is it?
    Thanks...oh, Hope the dog will be fine..

ah..ok.So it does..thats great. It also says on that page last line: "..The first 20 hour of streaming each month are free for one year...." Im in China, i wonder
    if i am allowed to try it? Hmm...will have a look.
    Last edited by schmutly; 12-04-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Yep , still in China
    Missing the global phenomenon called seasons lol because here in
    Nanning as its tropical weather its been on average 30 since April
    So that's basically 8 months of summer, and before someone goes well thats GREAT
    try high-humidity as well..sigh! But that's ok, its 5x cheaper to live here and the
    cost of living in Australia has soared, cant believe it.
    Don't know about Canada or America but i guess things have gone up everywhere.

So..not being dumb (yes i am) but in layman's terms does it mean that ANY windows program
    will be albe to run on any device, Android,iPhone,Linux etc...is that's right?
    So programs we create, irrelevant of the developing environment (VB or Dev Express or Net Framework)
    they'll ALL work through this system?
    and how fast would they run? What about Databases and stuff...? Just trying to fully get it.
    Make out for a minute im from retard central...whats this mean for EVERYONE and how far away
    is it?
    Thanks...oh, Hope the dog will be fine..
    Yikes, I don't think I could handle 8 months of humidity. Australia is way more expensive than the US. It isn't too bad here.

Yeah, it would run on Android, IOS devices. I don't think our programs would work well on phones because of the user interfaces but on tablets it would be great. Our programs are touch enabled.

I'm still researching this but from my understanding it runs off of a Windows 2008 server environment.

Amazon has different databases set up to run on that environment. We would probably be using a postgre or mysql.

I couldn't tell you about speed until I test it out myself. That is the key, but even if the speed isn't quite there I don't doubt it will be in the near future. It sounds like Amazon and Microsoft will be putting resources on making that type of technology better.

Ah ok...ALso, its not available unless your in the US East (Northern Virginia) and Asia Pacific (Tokyo) Regions so i guess i cant even try it out...hope this changes in the near future.
    Thanks for the update

Ah ok...ALso, its not available unless your in the US East (Northern Virginia) and Asia Pacific (Tokyo) Regions so i guess i cant even try it out...hope this changes in the near future.
    Thanks for the update
    I'm sure it will change. They tend to roll this stuff out once they get it working well in one location. At least it seems that way from the email updates I get.

Thomas

This is really exciting & the way forward for sure, VERY happy your looking to develop for the cloud.
    Keep going Thomas
    Simon C

Thomas,
    Do clients have to be always online to access or also they can use our software offline in their respective device?
    Eyasu