Default How To Name Uniqe Editors

Let's say I am doing a project for a furniture store. I have living room, dining room, dining table, etc. Now it appears that using the name dining multiple times for different editor's name might cause TBS to crash according to Thomas. Unique name is what he suggests.

How do I make sure that the names are truly unique? Any pointers about naming editors would greatly be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Let's say I am doing a project for a furniture store. I have living room, dining room, dining table, etc. Now it appears that using the name dining multiple times for different editor's name might cause TBS to crash according to Thomas. Unique name is what he suggests.

How do I make sure that the names are truly unique? Any pointers about naming editors would greatly be appreciated.
    Hi RG,

I am almost done with the Express documentation which will be the base for the Pro. It will help a lot and should be available later today or tomorrow.

Not only does the Software Objects need to be unique but also the Property Editor names.

I would name the Software Objects in your example like this.

LivingRoomObject
    DiningRoomObject
    DiningTableObject

If there are editors than I would append Editors on the end of the name.

It works for me but I know others have their own methods which works for them.

Thomas

Thomas,

Do I understand that If I clone a software object I need to change the names of all the editors in the second object so there's no conflict between objects?
    Rich Hamilton publishes marketing software and books and audio about the Disney business model.
    RAZATAZ.com MagicStrategy.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichHamilton View Post
    Thomas,

Do I understand that If I clone a software object I need to change the names of all the editors in the second object so there's no conflict between objects?
    No. Each editor, within one object, needs to have a unique name. You can have the same editor names in different objects. Well I should say I haven't come across a error yet. I hate to say things and jinx myself. lol

Thomas

Thanks, I'll quit worrying.
    Rich Hamilton publishes marketing software and books and audio about the Disney business model.

Rich, you should never quit worrying. Worrying constantly will ensure that you age at the same rate as the rest of us. LOL

I make my objects and editors unique by adding a number to the end of each one as I build them. By starting with the number 1 and progressing, I know each one is unique. Last week, I had a brainstorm and decided to put the number in front of the objects and editors. For me, that did not work. I had to delete everything and start over. After about three efforts to place the number in front, I went back to placing the number at the end and all is well. I am not certain if that was the problem but it appears to be. Maybe Thomas knows something about that.

I did not realize we could use the same editor names when we clone objects as long as the object name is unique. That will save time.

Alton

Alton... I had read in the manual:

"The Property Name is a required field in order to save the Property Editor. It also needs to be unique compared to other Property Editors within the Software Object...

Property Name Rules: Do not use any type of special characters like .$%&* and so on. Do not start the Name with any type of numeric value. example: 1wordprocessor would give you an error...

You cannot have two Property Editors of the same name within one Software Object."

But I had become confused while reading the forum. Seems like the manual nails it! Gotta like that manual!
    Last edited by RichHamilton; 03-19-2009 at 11:52 PM.

We have a manual!!!

Well, I apparently missed that detail about the numbers not allowed in the front of the name and learned the hard way. You wouldn't believe all the errors it called. After I got that corrected, things are working quite well.

Alton

It's the new manual for Express, and while it leaves out the Pro features, it does put a real nice handle on the rest.

Yep, still working on the Pro manual. There is a lot to it and I hate this part of the business.

I am trying to finish up the software to finish up the manual.

Thomas