Default Got An Idea For A Recurring Feature In The Software

Thomas, I don't know how hard or not this would be to do, but I was thinking since you have it set up with ESB to have trials set according to days, maybe in some future update you could use the same programming "logic" to make it so that - similar to the trial feature - the software could be set up so that it would no longer start unless a code is entered at the end of the year.

Basically, it would do what the trial feature does, but it would not show a pop up window until a year elapses, prompting the user for the code to continue using the software. Then we could get away with selling an annual subscription and the software wouldn't start unless the code was entered at year's end. (would work for a one-time annual sub anyway perhaps).

Just an idea.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Bel View Post
    Thomas, I don't know how hard or not this would be to do, but I was thinking since you have it set up with ESB to have trials set according to days, maybe in some future update you could use the same programming "logic" to make it so that - similar to the trial feature - the software could be set up so that it would no longer start unless a code is entered at the end of the year.

Basically, it would do what the trial feature does, but it would not show a pop up window until a year elapses, prompting the user for the code to continue using the software. Then we could get away with selling an annual subscription and the software wouldn't start unless the code was entered at year's end. (would work for a one-time annual sub anyway perhaps).

Just an idea.

Mel
    Hi Mel,

Yep, got you covered. Your ESB programs will call a script, on your server, and will close if it returns a false. I will give you a script that ESB will call. Within that script you will need to make a call to your payment processor to see if the subscription is still valid. Since everyone uses different payment processing, I am unable to create a complete script that caters to everyone.

You will be able to sell subscriptions since ESB will call that script every time it opens if there is an internet connection. If after so many times there isn't a internet connection it won't open before verifying the license.

http://profittigersystems.com/vbforu...6&postcount=32

If you don't use the script it won't make any calls. The only issue is needing to be online after so many times of using the software.

Thomas

AWESOME!!! That's really great. Solves that issue and now we can really maximize the income.

Mel

I think to do this, you would want to make it perfectly clear that you are buying a subscription software service and not a one off payment. The customer would also need to know their software will stop working after the time period is up. Some people would think the software would continue working, but they just wouldn't get any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I think to do this, you would want to make it perfectly clear that you are buying a subscription software service and not a one off payment. The customer would also need to know their software will stop working after the time period is up. Some people would think the software would continue working, but they just wouldn't get any updates.
    Great point Mike. People are still used to buying a license and paying for upgrades when it comes to desktop programs. Software companies like Adobe have started changing this but, as always, it is still preferable to be very clear on the terms before the person purchases.

Thomas

I migrated to a new server today and lost some posts.

Hi
    I for one would not purchase a software that will potentially shutdown at some future date, paying for updates and new versions is ok but not for a software that I have purchased. Even if it was made clear that this would happen I would not purchase and go elsewhere.

Do we expect Microsoft office to shutdown after a period of time, no, however they make significant changes and encourage us to upgrade which we are quite prepared to do, (adding value).

Another thing to remember that the internet is changing all of the time, what worked last year might not this year, so it is a risk to assume that a software is going to be current in 12 months time.

I think this idea is not so good.

John Mc (Aus)
    Hi John,

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. No doubt there are others that have been burned and wouldn't purchase on a monthly basis.

These types of things need to be tested. Maybe even giving the option of a lower monthly fee and high one time purchase.

In any case, if the company/person doesn't continue updating the software it will become unusable at some point in the future. Maybe it will take years but eventually a change in Windows or the language it was written in could make the program obsolete.

You definitely don't want a one off purchase on programs that automate web sites. Those sites change and you would want the creator to update the software. There is little incentive with one off purchases. I saw this a lot in the IM field.

I don't have a problem with a monthly fee as long as I know the company continues putting out updates.

The nice thing with ESB is I do all the updates that you can pass along.

Thomas

Mel Bel
    I think you guys misunderstood what I was asking Thomas for...

Of course you would want to tell the customer that it is going to shut down in a year if they do not renew.

The whole point of my suggestion was that there is currently no way to offer an annual subscription, and that would at least allow you to offer it - just like other software providers do.

I'm not talking about keeping customers in ignorance and then slamming them with an upgrade/renew-or-your software-will-die notification at the end of the year (surprise, surprise). Lol

But as Thomas has already replied, offering subscriptions - annual, monthly or what-have-you - will be possible very soon, and that is a great way to maximize income.

Especially when Thomas gets the api set up - offering a one-off payment is not the best option at that point. Expenses will eat your profits away.
    Mel, it's already implemented and in the documentation. Check out the Easy Software Builder section for licensing.

It's totally up to you guys how you want to sell your programs. My job was to give you the option.

As I said to John, I would test out monthly and higher one off prices to see what is selling the best.

If you are selling automation (especially web site automation) then I would go with a monthly just because you need to be on top of any changes the web site makes.

Thomas

Yeah, I knew you understood what I meant, Thomas. I think I was a little unclear and the other two members misunderstood me a little.

That's really awesome the features you have been setting up lately.

Thanks!

Mel

Great option to have. Thanks for implementing this Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tryon View Post
    Great option to have. Thanks for implementing this Thomas!

My pleasure.

Thomas