Default New Installation Process Coming in next update

When I released the updated version of the Xtreme programs I found out updating and adding the web browser also added a new prerequisite to the installations. Well, it was for a higher version prerequisite which means I had to update the Requirements.exe for all programs since all of them would be getting the same update.

I really dislike having an external exe file that people have to download and install. The only issue was the current installation process didn't allow you to build a exe with those prerequisites on your computer.

After a year or so of trying to come up with an alternative, I finally figured it out and it will be in the next update. Even though this took me weeks to add, I've been researching this for years. I knew this was needed, but with time constraints it took me some time to figure out an alternative. Until now. Queue dramatic music.

Anyway, this will be a simple installation that will install all needed programs as part of one installation. No more additional files and a big bonus is you don't need to right click and run as administrator to build the setup files. I always hated that! Even though it isn't a big issue it still adds more to support because people don't really read the help docs.

I also plan on adding a short cut to starting the Automation Server as part of the installation. That means your customers won't need to start your program in order to start the automation server. They will just be able to click on the Automation Server shortcut and it will run. It makes sense if you have a lot of scheduled automation scripts that the person will be running.

The new installations will be included on all products!

Thomas

Sounds wonderful. Will we still have to manually uninstall an older version when we put out an update?

Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sounds wonderful. Will we still have to manually uninstall an older version when we put out an update?

Mike M
    When you release something with the new installation process you will have to tell your customers to uninstall any versions that were created with the older installation. After that it will update without having to manually uninstall.

Just to add: Your version numbers will play a part in updates. You will need to increase your version number if you want the customer to be able to update the app when they double click the exe file. It will not install a older version over a newer version.

The overall install experience should be a lot better.

Thomas

Sounds good Thomas. Looking forward to it.

Awesome! That simplifies everything for the customer a lot. Thanks!

Mel

Neato
    Yeah..the requirements file was a pain...
    Only because i keep forgetting where i put the darn thing HAHA
    Thanks Thomas...

Robbie