Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Faster and Easier Automation Script Build?

Hi All,

One of the things I wanted to work on for this next release was to make building automation scripts easier. I haven't really received any feedback apart from Robbie so that made this even more difficult.

So this is what I came up with since I am shooting in the dark here. This will be replacing the Script Builder actions.

I appreciate all feedback, thanks!

New Updated Version

I think this will make building automation scripts a lot faster compared to the original version.

Thomas

Brilliant idea ��I love the fact you have the variables section
    it's easier to rename them to the ones were selected.
    It's a lot easier to use and the workflow the
    he way you have it set upand it's looking really good. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it haha
    I am on mobile phone so sorry 4 text errors... so we'll be able to share these scripts, just uploading them to scripts thread for others and share/import them in I assume
    great... thanks ��
    Last edited by schmutly; 09-11-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmutly View Post
    Brilliant idea ��I love the fact you have the variables section
    it's easier to rename them to the ones were selected.
    It's a lot easier to use and the workflow the
    he way you have it set upand it's looking really good. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it haha
    I am on mobile phone so sorry 4 text errors... so we'll be able to share these scripts, just uploading them to scripts thread for others and share/import them in I assume
    great... thanks ��
    Thanks mate. I can't think of anything better to make building these scripts easier.

As of right now the library is only local, but something you can access from any project. I could look at setting up a online database so people can share and exchange snippets. Not everyone will want to share so I would need to build the option of sharing. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Thomas

Speaking of variables. I finally figured out how to update the script when you change a variable name. What a pain.

Before when you changed the name of a variable you had to go into each action that used the variable and re-add it with the new name.

Now you change the name and it automatically updates each action with the new name.

I've been wanting this for a LONGGGGG time.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSoftware View Post
    Speaking of variables. I finally figured out how to update the script when you change a variable name. What a pain.

Before when you changed the name of a variable you had to go into each action that used the variable and re-add it with the new name.

Now you change the name and it automatically updates each action with the new name.

I've been wanting this for a LONGGGGG time.
    Thomas
    Sorry, just got back from work..WOW...yessss
    Ive been wanting that too...it was a pain...mostly because i wasn't giving them good..long..identifiable names OR i was
    making them to 'close' in the naming that I'd confuse myself...and label the wrong variable with a similar name and always
    get the dreaded exclamation mark haha.
    Or id have to go back to the working page with objects to check what i gave them etc.
    This way we wont need to open really LONG scripts to "find" all the names of variables in sections of scripts that have been put together
    from a few other scripts.
    Probably confused you but i know what i mean...But that's good. Cant wait to try it out

I like the change, Thomas. Much more simplified and useful, imo.

Also, that's great variable name changes will auto-update across all areas of the script now.

Mel

Yeah, the variable fix was a happy moment for me. I wanted this since I noticed the painful behavior. A long time ago. Microsoft developed the workflow designer but it was pretty basic. Stuff like changing the variable name and updating all the actions should have been implemented by them. You would be shocked at all the customization's I have done in order to make this work easier.

The only issue I have come across is having the same variable names used within one script. I go through and update everywhere the variable name was used. So if you have two variables with the same name then you will end up with a problem. Please make sure all of your variables have unique names otherwise you will have some no so nice surprises.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSoftware View Post
    Hi All,

One of the things I wanted to work on for this next release was to make building automation scripts easier. I haven't really received any feedback apart from Robbie so that made this even more difficult.

So this is what I came up with since I am shooting in the dark here. This will be replacing the Script Builder actions.

I appreciate all feedback, thanks!

Thomas
    I like it because it will help me to learn more about working with scripts and make automation easier for us novices. Great idea Thomas.

Could you do some on scraping??

I haven't worked with automation yet, so it looks good to me. I'll have to review the documentation to get a handle on Variables once I get there.

Mike M.