Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RolandK View Post
    Could you do some on scraping??

Thanks Roland! I do think once you get the feel for this you will end up not using this and building your own scripts by dragging and dropping. Or you use these pre-built snippets and add your own actions. Robbie mentioned he stopped using the Builder wizards which was my first attempt at making this easier/faster.

These snippets are common scripts that people use. Stuff like running reports, uploading files, sending emails... I don't know what type of scraping would be common since everyone uses different websites.

Since we will now be able to load/save scripts and import/export snippets, I can put together some scraping projects and just give you or whomever a download link to those projects. You can then open up a new project and Load the script. It is basically what I am doing with this new Script Builder feature.

FYI, if any website has an api I would recommend using their api over web scraping.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I haven't worked with automation yet, so it looks good to me. I'll have to review the documentation to get a handle on Variables once I get there.

Mike M.
    Mike, that is one area I have been wracking the old brain in how I can teach better. Variables is a programming term which most people wouldn't understand, but something that needs to be learned to understand how a script runs.

The best way that I can think to describe it would be temporary storage for a value. That value may be an email address or a directory path or a database record. It holds that value so other parts of the script can access it and change it.

So a Ftp script example, we would need a local file to upload to a website. We need a path to that file. We put that path into a variable and now our script can access that file path value when it is time for the script to upload the file. It takes the file path value, from that variable, and performs the upload.

Anyway, I'm glad you, Roland, Mel and Robbie bring this type of stuff up so I know what I need to work on when it comes to training. I'll take more of this feedback all day and a little on Saturday.

Thomas

Mike,
    (& anyone else)..I uploaded my email/web project a while ago...where the script used alot of variables and database records.
    It had a saved zip program which ran, unzipped the html templates,uploaded them to your server,then you select a client in
    an email list in software.
    You select from one of those templates and it emails to that 'list' of selected customers in the email. etc..
    It has lots of variables and fairly involved and would help hugely.

I mentioned it because what i will do is make a video of MY thought process on how i built it and how i laid out what variables
    to use, when,how to logically put them in and how it all comes together...i think as Thomas said, is once you "see" how it comes
    together it really will click.
    But....it wont happen with just one script. Sooooooo....i might make a series of videos, scripts, example projects.
    Maybe there's money for ME in offering the scripts in future time where someone may ask for a script to be made??

But...for now i think i will help with the ones ive done and REDO them with included videos and a build process on "how".
    The how isn't too hard, variables are easy...the learning part comes in thinking the process through
    (for me on paper as i don't have any mind-map stuff..so ill do it in paper..just as easy lol) and after all these are done will give some
    simple examples.

The only HOLDUP: My plugin. I will spent this weekend really HARD in putting Stripe API stuff into the plugin because PAYPAL is peeing
    me off LOL. Its working great....but they could change that at anytime...and support for the Stripe looks very good.

But....i will do my email project video and break that down as it has a lot in there and i think it will help for now.
    Late for work....bye haha
    Robbie

When you build scripts and start testing them you will see the variables being set to values and how the script may change the values. The Output will show you the variable name and the value. A great way to see how a script runs.

Thomas

Mike, that is one area I have been wracking the old brain in how I can teach better. Variables is a programming term which most people wouldn't understand, but something that needs to be learned to understand how a script runs.
    I did some learning in Visual Basic MANY years ago, so I sort of know what a variable is. BUT I have forgotten everything, and now as I get older, I can't think right
    I'll do some studying on it. So a variable is just a name, and when the program asks for it, the end user inputs their data into it? EG: the variable for an smtp server, maybe I call it smtp_var, and when the script calls it, the customer puts in their smtp details?

The only HOLDUP: My plugin. I will spent this weekend really HARD in putting Stripe API stuff into the plugin because PAYPAL is peeing
    me off LOL. Its working great....but they could change that at anytime...and support for the Stripe looks very good.
    Schmutly, Stripe works for me. If I ever get around to selling anything, I will be using WooCommerce and Stripe. Only because I use Cartflows to create a sales funnel. Or will be if I ever get time to go live on anything. LOL.

I just got too much going on right now to spend a bunch of time on this. In about a month, I'll start on it in earnest. And this time I mean it

Mike M

I did some learning in Visual Basic MANY years ago, so I sort of know what a variable is. BUT I have forgotten everything, and now as I get older, I can't think right
    I'll do some studying on it. So a variable is just a name, and when the program asks for it, the end user inputs their data into it? EG: the variable for an smtp server, maybe I call it smtp_var, and when the script calls it, the customer puts in their smtp details?
    No, your end user won't enter data into the script itself. You will have to create a form your user will use to save their smtp server details into the database. Then in your script you will get the record and set the smtp details to variables so the part of the script that sends the email will be able use those values.

Thomas

No, your end user won't enter data into the script itself. You will have to create a form your user will use to save their smtp server details into the database. Then in your script you will get the record and set the smtp details to variables so the part of the script that sends the email will be able use those values.
    Yea, that's what I meant. You explained it much better

I'll do a video soon mate and break my email project down and i know it will help a lot.
    There is a lot going on in it. But a video breakdown from start to finish will help because
    it combines different "snippets" together.
    Like you:
    1. Create forms for the customer details (includes their email)-> script actions cycle through all the records and will send emails to only those "selected"
    2. A zip of html templates -> these zipped templates are stored file in your program -> script unzips them to temp folder on your pc then uploads them
    to a server (you designate that in ANOTHER form with FTP details etc...more variables)
    3. Those templates THEN appear as a list of templates to choose from -> script cycles through them and selects the one you ticked.
    4. Another form of your email variables (you can have many email accounts to use for sending) -> script selects then email account you want to use to send this HTML template to selected clients.
    ETC...so there's a lot going on but if i make a series of videos you'll see how you can put together some amazing software's.
    And with API coming up...i can boggle at the things we'll be able to do.

But i Will get this done...after plugin. I might do a quick run through of the above though shortly...i thought i did that already..hmmm...will check.

Just trying to reliever the pressure off Thomas so he can test,debug and finish up....so i will get into this A.S.A.P

You're making me blush.

There is a lot going on so seeing the big picture on how all this works can be difficult.

I'll try to come up with some videos showing how everything interacts. From the customer standpoint and when the scripts are ran. Your customer won't know anything about the scripts. All they see is a form to enter in their SMTP account information and everything else is magic.

Edited to add: Looks like Robbie beat me again.

Thomas

Edited to add: Looks like Robbie beat me again.
    He is on the ball for sure. I think I can speak for every one on how much we appreciate your and Robbie's time for helping us underlings out.

Mike M