Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSoftware View Post
    1. You need the Automation server running.

2. You need to build and install the program in order to run the Automation server. You need to remember any data you enter while creating your program will be part of the installation you build when you sell your program. You are better off testing your scripts like you have been doing and then building/installing the program to test everything else. You don't want to add your personal accounts for things like Ftp or emails and have that installed on your end users computers.

Thomas
    So, the "Automation Server" is an engine that is packaged with the Setup Build of the final program? And really doesn't come into play until the end user has installed the program on their pc? I guess I am going to have to Build one of my projects and check out the end user experience.

I am thinking about my final program when doing downloads and interactions with the internet. I'm careful not to use my personal stuff. That's a good point.

Barry
    Last edited by goodman441; 10-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Addons and modules are not the same. You have document, spreadsheet and diagram forms.

Thomas
    So, if I use the Word Processing Editor within a form, I get all the functionality documented in the Word Processing Module section of the help Documentation?

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by goodman441 View Post
    So, the "Automation Server" is an engine that is packaged with the Setup Build of the final program? And really doesn't come into play until the end user has installed the program on their pc? I guess I am going to have to Build one of my projects and check out the end user experience.

I am thinking about my final program when doing downloads and interactions with the internet. I'm careful not to use my personal stuff. That's a good point.

Barry
    Yes, I mentioned this up thread that ESB with automation is two programs. The main program that you use and the server that runs the automation scripts.

http://profittigersystems.com/vbforu...5304#post15304

Thomas

So, if I use the Word Processing Editor within a form, I get all the functionality documented in the Word Processing Module section of the help Documentation?

Barry
    Check out the Forms section of the help docs. Specifically Document form.

Thomas

Yes, I mentioned this up thread that ESB with automation is two programs. The main program that you use and the server that runs the automation scripts.

http://profittigersystems.com/vbforu...5304#post15304

Thomas
    Okay, that make sense now....I was thinking the Automation Server button was more like a Queue where you could see scripts running thru it.... I know I'm a little thick heading, but there is so much to see and experiment within ESB, it's awesome!!

Check out the Forms section of the help docs. Specifically Document form.

Thomas
    Okay, got it!!

Thanks!

Okay, that make sense now....I was thinking the Automation Server button was more like a Queue where you could see scripts running thru it.... I know I'm a little thick heading, but there is so much to see and experiment within ESB, it's awesome!!
    No problem Barry. Sometimes it takes me a very long time for something to click. There were many features that took me years to figure out how to implement them in ESB.

The Automation Server button starts the server.

Thomas

Thomas,

I've built my app and installed it on my pc. Very cool! I understand the Automation Server now.... One thing I noticed is the Run Scripts button in the ribbon is not active until a record is selected, I wanted the user to be able to load current data so there is no data there to start, but I think I can work thru that by setting up an Update process instead of a complete load of data. One question came to mind while testing my program. The Automation..Run Scripts button, can it be re-labeled to be something more descriptive to the app, Like I would like Functions...Run I looked around the model editor and could not find where I could change that.

Thanks,
    Barry

No way to change the name of the button.

You will probably want to use Schedule scripts if all you are doing is going to the web and getting data. Action scripts are typically created to respond to a action taken on a record. Like if someone saved a new record and they wanted a script to run. Or if they set a particular field to something they can have set a script to run. It is based on scenarios. That is why you need to select a record in order to run a script.

Schedule actions do not care what is happening with the end user. It just runs on a hourly, daily, weekly, monthly basis.

Like I said earlier, you can preload data that will be installed. The only thing is any data you add after they install won't be carried over.

If this is the Clickbank program, I would think about having that data on my webserver. The new version will be able to access that data on your webserver. So the data will be there when they open it up and all you need to do is update your webserver (can be done through the automation) and they will get the updated data.

Thomas

No way to change the name of the button.

You will probably want to use Schedule scripts if all you are doing is going to the web and getting data. Action scripts are typically created to respond to a action taken on a record. Like if someone saved a new record and they wanted a script to run. Or if they set a particular field to something they can have set a script to run. It is based on scenarios. That is why you need to select a record in order to run a script.

Schedule actions do not care what is happening with the end user. It just runs on a hourly, daily, weekly, monthly basis.

Like I said earlier, you can preload data that will be installed. The only thing is any data you add after they install won't be carried over.

If this is the Clickbank program, I would think about having that data on my webserver. The new version will be able to access that data on your webserver. So the data will be there when they open it up and all you need to do is update your webserver (can be done through the automation) and they will get the updated data.

Thomas
    Okay, that last sentence is what I have in mind....but until the new version is out, in order to work with my program, I'm converting the XML from CB to a .CSV file in the proper format, then importing it into my program. Learning a lot along the way.

Barry