Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Another Success Story

I live in a small community in the outskirts of Boston. We have many small shops in our area. I was recently driving around town and saw a fairly new store which sold nothing but 1 particular collectible item and I immediately came up with an idea (nothing new by any means, but an idea none the less)...

I drove home and quickly whipped up a sample software application, (which, by the way, can be done in less than 30 minutes, especially if you watch my new Basic Application Creation video).

The software was easy to create since it catered to 1 particular collectible item. Once I was finished, I drove back to the collectible shop and showed the owner, Neil, my software and asked if he would be interested in letting me leave a few copies with him to see how his customers would take to the software...

He agreed to let me do it, so I created 10 copies, manually, to get started. The very next day, I awoke to a phone call (mind you, my wake time is usually sometime around 1 PM or so ). It was Neil, asking for 50 MORE copies.

I signed on to my paypal account to find 6 "you've got money" messages... 6, out of 10 cd's... a whopping 60% conversion... HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THAT...

The arrangement we now have is that I created a custom copy for him to sell at his store. I sell them to him for $20 per CD and he sells them to his customers at his own price ($49.95)...

He ordered 300 copies to start with and called me yesterday to let me know he may need more copies sooner than we both thought...

The best part is the hard work is already done... Whenever he needs more CD's, I simply call my "mass producer" and let him know how many more copies I need.

Each CD costs me just $2.25. Since I require Neil to purchase bulk packs of 100 CDs (with a bonus of 25 free copies), my cost is $282 bringing my net profit to $1718 PER ORDER...

$1,700+ for a 2 minute phone call to my CD producer... Not bad if you ask me... (whoops, sorry, forgot about the $4.50 it costs in gas to pick up the CD's and drop them off at Neil's store, heheh)

I also thought about using an online service to automate the entire process, (letting neil visit a private page on my site to purchase additional bulk packs), but decided against that. Part of the ongoing progress is visiting him personally to get as much feedback as I can... The software has now grown into a much larger product due to the awesome feedback and ideas his customers gave him which he passed on to me...

I have also received a few phone calls from 2 other shop owners who know Neil, so it's possible this could turn out even greater than it already is...

@those who are simply "toying" with TSB
    get off your a*s and GET SERIOUS! There is DECENT money to be made if you just apply a few basic concepts and ideas... TSB is not merely a tiny little 'somewhat-powerful' program you have your hands on, you really can make some serious cash with software products...

@Thomas
    do you have ANY idea of the immense power you have with your TSB? I purchased it for under $100 (not quite sure what you're selling it for now, but anyways) and it is clearly worth 100 times that... (If you ever get tired of this tiny project of yours and want to sell out, be sure to buzz me immediately )

Wow, Jonathon,

That is truly amazing and inspirational.
    And very encouraging for the rest of us.

Congratulations

Waller

Awesome Jonathon. That may be the motivation I need. I've got my hand in too many tasks so aren't getting anything done. Time to concentrate on 1

@Mike, That is EXACTLY what I have done.

I used to have almost 200 websites up and running, selling various services and products, but then my time was stretched far too thin, so now, I have shut down all my sites except a handful, so I can concentrate on making 1 a huge success and it has allowed me so much more time which I can use for software creation efforts, promotional efforts, brainstorming sessions, so on and so forth.

I am certain that focusing on just 1 project will greatly enhance my income potential and I recommend this method to anyone... Focus on oe project until it becomes a success, THEN work on another if you are so inclined to have more than one project going...

Jonathon,

You're doing great! It's an inspiration for all of us!

If you're expanding beyond Boston, you might be interested in Kunaki.com ... Kunaki will duplicate your CDs and pack them in a jewel case or DVD box with full color labels and inserts for $1.75 each plus shipping and handling. This can be very useful, as they manufacture 1 or 100 or 500... whatever you order, as you order it. No inventory, and you do it all online. No trips to the duplicator, no trips to the post office or UPS.

They give you a very professional delivery with no big investment.
    Rich Hamilton publishes marketing software and books and audio about the Disney business model.
    RAZATAZ.com MagicStrategy.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichHamilton View Post
    Jonathon,

You're doing great! It's an inspiration for all of us!

If you're expanding beyond Boston, you might be interested in Kunaki.com ... Kunaki will duplicate your CDs and pack them in a jewel case or DVD box with full color labels and inserts for $1.75 each plus shipping and handling. This can be very useful, as they manufacture 1 or 100 or 500... whatever you order, as you order it. No inventory, and you do it all online. No trips to the duplicator, no trips to the post office or UPS.

They give you a very professional delivery with no big investment.
    Does kunaki ship worldwide?

@Rich (check your PM by the way)
    I had considered Kunaki, but as I said, I like to deal locally (for now anyways) and doing so manually affords me the opportunity to have a personal relationship with my customers... Kunaki IS great indeed and should I decide to "branch out", I will definitely use them (I may have to come to you for some questions, though, as it's been a while, heheh)...

PatrickP,

Yes, Kunaki ships to most of the world.
    Rich Hamilton publishes marketing software and books and audio about the Disney business model.
    RAZATAZ.com MagicStrategy.com

Quote Originally Posted by jonathon View Post

@Thomas
    do you have ANY idea of the immense power you have with your TSB? I purchased it for under $100 (not quite sure what you're selling it for now, but anyways) and it is clearly worth 100 times that... (If you ever get tired of this tiny project of yours and want to sell out, be sure to buzz me immediately )
    Great job Jonathan. I think I will keep this small project.

Keep up the great work man.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSoftware View Post
    Great job Jonathan. I think I will keep this small project.

Keep up the great work man.

Thomas
    I didn't think you'd wanna give it up, but, hey, can't blame a guy for trying, heheh...