• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Bel
    replied
    A toggle sounds great. Thanks!

Originally posted by TigerSoftware View Post

Hopefully the worst is behind us. Maybe it is better to get the worst out of the way so we can enjoy the rest of the year.
    Amen to that!

Mel

Leave a comment:

• TigerSoftware
    replied
    Forgot to mention storing documents will also slow down retrieval. If your form has spreadsheets, word docs or pdf files then it will take longer to load.

I'll add a button that the user will be able to click to toggle between loading all records right away or showing the window while it continues to load the records.

Hopefully the worst is behind us. Maybe it is better to get the worst out of the way so we can enjoy the rest of the year.

Thomas

Leave a comment:

• Mel Bel
    replied
    January was a little rough for sure!

Thanks Thomas!

Mel

Leave a comment:

• TigerSoftware
    replied
    Hi Mel,

Spreadsheets don't have relationships nor do they need to connect to the actual database. Then add in images, sorting or filters and you get more slowdown. There are some settings that I may be able to tweak in order to display the window faster. The only issue is not all the data will be loaded when the window is shown and that could screw up any sorting or filtering the user applies. I don't suspect that to be a issue unless there is a lot of data.

There will be limitations for the database. If customers are needing a lot of storage then they will need to start using more of the heavy hitters like Mysql or Sql Server.

Your design will also have an impact. A lot of relationships means getting data from multiple tables. So if a form has many relationships then the software is trying to get the data from all of those tables. That takes time.

Hope you're doing fine there, Thomas!
    It hasn't been a great start of a year, but hopefully it will get better. We just gotta keep moving forward.

Thomas

Leave a comment:

• Mel Bel
    started a topic Database Retrieval Speed

Database Retrieval Speed

Hi Thomas!

Over the years I've noted that the more data that is in the database of the software we create the slower the software is to load the data when clicking a grid object open in the finished software. 50,000 pieces of data or more, for example, in a grid form can result in a long delay before the data is loaded, and obviously because it's a heck of a lot of data to load, right? Lol.

But I was thinking...

When we open a excel file or csv inside the spreadsheet program, it's really fast to display the data, because of course the data is not in the database.

But is there a way to have data in the database simply display in the software grid like the spreadsheet program, and THEN when a record is clicked or double-clicked the software will retrieve only the data for that record clicked?

It seems that would speed up the data display and really cut down on the need for the software to load all data from the database each time a grid object is clicked by the user. Then only the display of the data would be needed initially, and the actual data wouldn't need to be loaded except on an individual record-to-record basis when clicked or double-clicked.

See what I'm trying to describe? I don't know if it is possible, but perhaps after an import of data or upon importing data, the software could be programmed to do something like take a snapshot (for lack of a better term) and "translate" the data as simple text for quick display inside the software; then link each record display to the actual data in the database for retrieval only when needed (clicked or double-clicked to activate).

Have no idea if it's even possible. Just thought about it for some reason.

Hope you're doing fine there, Thomas!

Mel
Working...
X