Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automation Demos

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Automation Demos

    I figured it might be easier to put all demos links on a post here in case someone missed one. I am planning on doing some demos while testing and will post the links here.

    The feedback from you have always been awesome so doing it this way I can start getting feedback on what may be lacking in how I am describing some of this stuff.


    Browser Automation Demo:

    Building Intelligent Automation Scripts

  • #2
    Great Thomas!

    When do you expect releasing a beta?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cjseven View Post
      Great Thomas!

      When do you expect releasing a beta?
      I expected to release it last year.

      Should be in a week the way things are going. You do know me saying that will probably jinx me.


      Thomas

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks great Thomas!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks JIM!


          To Everyone:

          It would be helpful to know what types of stuff you will want to be automating. That way, I can go through and start building up some videos showing how to do it.

          I also want to build up a script library that you can use to get started.


          Thanks!


          Thomas

          Comment


          • #6

            I didn't get an email about this (i guess u just posted it today )
            ok..checking out now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by schmutly View Post

              I didn't get an email about this (i guess u just posted it today )
              ok..checking out now.
              You blocking my emails, Robbie?


              Thomas

              Comment


              • #8
                No way
                Watched the videos, that great..easy .
                Is it possible that when you select the ID and do a search test
                to confirm the correct element is selected to have a red/orange/yellow or
                some different colored border around that element? From the video i suppose
                for 'you' its easier to SEE that it is correctly chosen ,yes? It appears i think to
                go opaque from the video and maybe some websites might have so much going on
                it may be hard to see?
                The workflow is logical and looking forward to testing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmutly View Post
                  No way
                  Watched the videos, that great..easy .
                  Is it possible that when you select the ID and do a search test
                  to confirm the correct element is selected to have a red/orange/yellow or
                  some different colored border around that element? From the video i suppose
                  for 'you' its easier to SEE that it is correctly chosen ,yes? It appears i think to
                  go opaque from the video and maybe some websites might have so much going on
                  it may be hard to see?
                  The workflow is logical and looking forward to testing.
                  Yeah, I do plan on changing the highlight colors before release. It's actually highlighting the elements but the colors need to be changed in order to stand out more.

                  I did have a hard time nailing down the workflow for this browser stuff. I totally scrapped the previous version I had coded because I didn't like it. That was a big reason this wasn't done until now. It took a long time to figure out. Yeah, I'm getting old. haha

                  This one, I do like a lot even though there are a few more steps compared to other automation products out there. With that said, this gives us more flexibility as well. We can do multiple actions on an element this way. Like holding down a control key and clicking types of actions. Same as if we were using the browser ourselves.


                  Thomas

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thomas,

                    It would be helpful to know what types of stuff you will want to be automating. That way, I can go through and start building up some videos showing how to do it.

                    I also want to build up a script library that you can use to get started.
                    Here is one. You have a collection of items and you want to go to a website and get the value and update the value of each item in your collection in your database on a weekly basis.

                    Another would be that you have a list of company types and you want to get a list and other information about these companies by zip code and put the information into a database or report.

                    Another: Add or develop an accounting type program to add to a business type software we develop.

                    Can't wait to try it out,

                    Roland

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Understood. I like the workflow. Im trying to 'visulaize' something.
                      So you also have it that a dialog box will popup and we can have
                      a un/pw/email etc saved as variables and then just populate the
                      text fields that way, and also i guess all those can come from the
                      database side of Expert? Its hard to see until we start playing with
                      it (the beta i mean )..
                      Hmm...good timing. going back to Australia for two months so ill have
                      plenty of time to delve into it?
                      Can i ask, what things are in there on this side: like any regex,json,ajax
                      been playing with them fo ra while now and be good to make a few apps
                      for Google maps,instagram and a few other ideas i have.
                      Anyhow...great work so far, exciting...and i KNOW what you mean about getting
                      OLD (trust me haha)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RolandK View Post
                        Thomas,



                        Here is one. You have a collection of items and you want to go to a website and get the value and update the value of each item in your collection in your database on a weekly basis.

                        Another would be that you have a list of company types and you want to get a list and other information about these companies by zip code and put the information into a database or report.

                        Another: Add or develop an accounting type program to add to a business type software we develop.

                        Can't wait to try it out,

                        Roland
                        Alright, now we're talking. Thanks Roland!

                        Do you have specific websites in mind that I can take a look at for the items you listed? The reason I ask is because the most challenging part of the Browser stuff is getting the elements. It can take some trial and error. The more I do, the better I get which means better videos for you guys.

                        I do want to try and incorporate quickbooks interaction with out programs. There should be a lot of stuff added this year since I am over this huge road block we call automation. haha


                        Thomas

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by schmutly View Post
                          Understood. I like the workflow. Im trying to 'visulaize' something.
                          So you also have it that a dialog box will popup and we can have
                          a un/pw/email etc saved as variables and then just populate the
                          text fields that way, and also i guess all those can come from the
                          database side of Expert? Its hard to see until we start playing with
                          it (the beta i mean )..
                          Hmm...good timing. going back to Australia for two months so ill have
                          plenty of time to delve into it?
                          Can i ask, what things are in there on this side: like any regex,json,ajax
                          been playing with them fo ra while now and be good to make a few apps
                          for Google maps,instagram and a few other ideas i have.
                          Anyhow...great work so far, exciting...and i KNOW what you mean about getting
                          OLD (trust me haha)
                          You can populate the fields that way (basically hard coded values within the script itself) or you can load a record from the database and then set the variables based on your record data. You can load a record, create a new record, delete, load a bunch of records and loop through them, set and get their properties, etc... Oh, I almost forgot, you will also be able to load files if you want to work through a csv file.

                          I will make a video showing that.

                          On the browser stuff, I will be injecting jquery into every page. So you will be able to to run your own jquery scripts or javascripts.

                          I don't have any regex as of yet. I need time to research how best to add it. The reason some of these take time is because I need to build out tools that make working with it easier.

                          JSON is defintely in the works. Possibly OData as well. Again, I need some time to figure out the best way to add these and what type of tools to build to help people use them within the automation and also within ESB itself. I do think adding those are crucial this year.

                          I do have plans on adding a MAP component into ESB, but need some time to figure out the best way to add it. I think you can connect it to Bing maps.

                          I also changed the browser in ESB. It is more up to date with HTML5 capabilities. The older one was using IE and it always defaulted to version 7. I just replaced it and you can see it in the Browser automation videos.

                          I finally nailed down the framework I am happy with and one that will allow be to rapidly build upon it. While testing the browser stuff, I have been able to add some things like "find elements that have this text" type of stuff very quickly. There should be a lot of updates this year with new stuff because the framework is there and was built with expansion in mind. The main goal, right now, is to get what I have out asap and to bring in some more cash to fund more stuff. haha Never ending!


                          Thomas

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OK...well, heres an example.
                            1. On my camera site i setup and grab the AVAILABLE NOW images
                            and thier names. (theres 20).
                            Also do it by using a loop to loop through and grab each one.
                            I ask because i wouldn't think we'd need to manually grab each one.
                            Im assuming that once you grab the first few will the automation realize
                            which element you want and grab the rest in that frame?
                            Also glad its a HTML5 and you CHOSE WELL...using Chrome. Firefox is still
                            slow and unsupported on HTML5 and some webGL and stuff runs badly but
                            its slowly getting better esp. the mobile browsers for html5.
                            2. LOGIN to WordPress...see if any plugins need to be UPDATED...click the
                            box to select "ALL" and click update...then log out.
                            3.Go to Google images..search for cartoon dogs, "commercial use", grab first 20
                            images...then..without using API services...DROP THOSE IMAGES onto the
                            "AREA" on the www.tinypng.com WEBSITE....once all images compressed (so need a
                            wait command till that's finished) click each DOWNLOAD LINK and FTP those IMAGES
                            to a FTP folder...then EMAIL yourself its done
                            Go on...EASY

                            edit: Sorry...forgot to ask, as long as in future somehow can support HTML actions like
                            GET and POST then access API stuff is easy...i use a downloaded windows CURL program
                            to do CURL stuff from pc and not rely on the server and am able to access tinypng.com API
                            features using simple GET /PUT and Curl commands..and it works.
                            But automating it through ESB will be great..look'n forward to that .

                            EDIT2:
                            Actually...try something simpler. Can it "drop" an image onto that area on www.tinypng.com
                            and when compressed then click the download link and copy to desktop folder?
                            I know it defeats purpose as the api is there to do all this..BUT...i have come across MANY sites
                            that want you to DROP a FILE onto a container area and it gives you a link afterward and those
                            sites DON'T have an API...so doing something like this in automation would be good anyway.
                            Last edited by schmutly; 03-26-2015, 11:52 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by schmutly View Post
                              OK...well, heres an example.
                              1. On my camera site i setup and grab the AVAILABLE NOW images
                              and thier names. (theres 20).
                              Also do it by using a loop to loop through and grab each one.
                              I ask because i wouldn't think we'd need to manually grab each one.
                              Im assuming that once you grab the first few will the automation realize
                              which element you want and grab the rest in that frame?
                              Also glad its a HTML5 and you CHOSE WELL...using Chrome. Firefox is still
                              slow and unsupported on HTML5 and some webGL and stuff runs badly but
                              its slowly getting better esp. the mobile browsers for html5.
                              2. LOGIN to wordpress...see if any plugins need to be UPDATED...click the
                              box to select "ALL" and click update...then log out.
                              3.Go to google images..search for cartoon dogs, "commercial use", grab first 20
                              images...then..without using API services...DROP THOSE IMAGES onto the
                              "AREA" on the www.tinypng.com WEBSITE....once all images compressed (so need a
                              wait command till thats finished) click each DOWNLOAD LINK and FTP those IMAGES
                              to a FTP folder...then EMAIL yourself its done
                              Go on...EASY
                              I am just using Chrome for the automation debugging. I am actually using a different headless browser for running scripts because they are faster since they don't have to render. These scripts will be run using the Automation server (that can be installed on the same machine). It will run in the background. The headless browser is still html5 compliant. The built in browser will be built on chrome as well.

                              For the images, the hard part is grabbing all of the images. If you have a camera site, in mind, I can take look at it and make a video of it.

                              I can also show how to save the images to a local folder or save it to your database.

                              The wordpress stuff is excellent. I need to do something similar for my RAP scripts.

                              Thanks, you guys gave me some stuff to test with. That is a problem is trying to test scenarios you guys may use this for. I already know what I will be doing with it. haha

                              Keep the scenarios coming. Not only does it help me find bugs, but also allows me to create training videos that will help you get the most out of this.


                              Thomas

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X