Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relationships question Working my way back ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationships question Working my way back ;-)

Now that I can import some of my Vintage/Ancient projects I am exploring and remembering...

Note - I understand relationships (well, ESB, maybe not people ones lol)

Is there a way to look at the elements in Designer and tell which kind is which?

It looks like, One to One -- Parent - no arrow - to Child - no arrow?

One to Many -- Parent - no arrow -- to Child -- one arrow?

Many to Many -- Parent -- one arrow -- to Child -- one arrow?

Thanks,

Tink/Blondie
    Last edited by TinkBD; 09-02-2018, 01:45 PM.

Originally posted by TinkBD View Post
    Thanks,
    Tink/Blondie
    one to one, no arrow
    one to many one arrow pointing to parent.
    many 2 many arrow both ends... http://prntscr.com/kpug29
    For example above a pdf category parented to main pdf form.
    Example of home inventory with an insurance and rooms connected to
    home inventory so can associate the sales dockets instruction pdfs with items etc.
    As in here: http://prntscr.com/kpuf63

Sending you the docmanager now so you can have a look.
    Will help see a bit of layout changes Thomas has done which is great.
    Like...double-click MOUSE to open an image (instead of right click open)
    Also i have contacts in there with a automation script that grabs their address and website
    and shows those sites in the tabs on right. ( i think this version i fixed but will re-check)

Will upload to this post shortly..brb!

Robbie

project file: HERE
    Last edited by schmutly; 09-02-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmutly View Post
      one to many one arrow pointing to parent.
      Robbie -- In the One to Many, I thought the arrow pointed to the Many/Child?

Thank you so much for the help. I DLed the Document Manager and will look at it tomorrow.

Tink/Blondie

Comment

Robbie -- In the One to Many, I thought the arrow pointed to the Many/Child?
        Tink/Blondie
        Sorry, my brain thinks visually not like your clever logical mind. lol
        Oh, i asked about what version esb? Do you have expert ? Its been so long i
        cant remember. re: automation scripts which is why i asked , thats all.
        Take care, no probs...l8r

Comment

Thank you so much for the help.

My next question ... Is there a way to remove a relationship or to change a relationship?

Comment

The easiest way to learning for everyone is to create a test project and play around with it. Create one of each relationships and run it to see how they work. Once you see it then it makes much more sense.

You can select a relationship and click the delete button. You can't change a relationship, but you can delete one and add a different kind.

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by TigerSoftware View Post
              The easiest way to learning for everyone is to create a test project and play around with it. Create one of each relationships and run it to see how they work. Once you see it then it makes much more sense.

You can select a relationship and click the delete button. You can't change a relationship, but you can delete one and add a different kind.

Thomas
              Thanks, T.

I am playing around and would have said I tried the Delete but since it just worked, obviously I hadn't!

Thanks!

Comment

Is there a way to look at the elements in Designer and tell which kind is which?
                Thanks,
                Tink/Blondie
                Forgot to also mention,
                if you 'zoom' in you can see the parent, child as arrows are different sizes
                See here-> http://prntscr.com/kqoruu
                In anycase grab my project and in designer add a many to many relationship
                from the PDFs to the homeinventory (parent). why? Because lots of times you
                can download the instruction PDFs or receipt PDFs and there could be many PDFs
                for many different items as well as several PDFs for each different item in the
                homeinventory.
                I made a one to many for rooms only because its unlikely to have a yellow duckie wuckie
                in the kitchen AND bathroom...but hey...I'm not Tink, maybe you have one on the shelf
                in the lounge haha....so 'select' the line and delete it and drag a many to many to the room
                and see how it works. But your up on the relationships I'm sure.

Also warning. Careful when adding then sometimes if you slip or drag incorrect etc you will
                find you'll try to RUN project and get an error.
                It rarely happens but what happens is you've added a 'triangle' accidentally next to the arrow
                of a relationship....it's easy to see if you ZOOM in. If you see a triangle on its own delete it.

I will try and add one now by mistake and show the image here.

Take care,
                Robbie

UPDATE:
                OK, so here is what a 'booboo' can look like: http://prntscr.com/kqovor
                If i zoom in you can see it clearer.... http://prntscr.com/kqovz0
                And if you try to run it you get this: http://prntscr.com/kqow4z
                So don't close anything but click triangle and DELETE it..then should be good to go.
                Last edited by schmutly; 09-04-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Great info, Robbie. Thank you so much for all your help. I am playing and learning in between getting my current book finished.

And, speaking of yellow duckie wuckies, here is a shot of my right monitor ;-)

MonitorDuckies.jpg

Comment

Amazing...lol
                    I take it back. Great collection.

Comment

Working...
                    X