No announcement yet.

Updating software you already have deployed to end users - question and issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating software you already have deployed to end users - question and issue

Thomas,

I have an issue on updating my software for the end user... Let me see if I can explain what happened..

I added one editor inside one object (form)

I ran the build to exe

I uninstalled the old version on my computer using windows Remove app/software

I installed the new build

Then I restored the database with a backup from the previous version and all the data is there but, the new editor field I added does not show up?

I launched the install package exe and selected "repair install" and ran that and relaunched the software from the desktop and the data is there and the new editor field is there now.

So is there something in the backup file from the previous version that affects the new layout or the addition of a new editor when you do a restore?

I need to send out this update and I want to make sure I do it correctly.... with little issues as possible for the end user..... this will be the only update I need to do for a long time...

Maybe, if you do a video about sending out updates/upgrades of your software to the end user....

Like how we should prepare our files and how do we advise the end user prior to installing a new update we issue. I want to make it easy for them....

Thanks, JIM

Thanks for posting it on the forum JIM.

As I mentioned earlier, the backup won't have your new editors. That is why they aren't showing up.

So what you need to do is reinstall the update and run the software like you normally do. That should update your editors and your data will still be there. When your customers run the software, after installing the update, it will update the editors and their data will still be there. Do note: if you added any addition data then that data will not be updated on your customer's database. Just the forms and editors will be updated.

Then you can do a new backup which will include the new editors.

Thomas

Comment

I should also mention that automation scripts are also updated.

Thomas

Comment

To be clear, the end user must uninstall the current version prior to installing the new version update exe? Right?

If so, Is it better to use the windows uninstaller or launch the exe installer for my software program and select uninstall?

I guess it is wise to advise them to do a backup of their data but, not to use it because their data will be there after they update..... (Just don't want them to get mad if something happens during the process)

So, the file name and path of the updated version needs to remain the same as the old version?...

Does changing the software version make a difference?

What if a end user messes something up and installs their back up and it changes the layout back to the prior version... could they run the "Repair Installation" like I did to solve the issue?

Would overwriting the .esb the old layout file with the new layout file on the end users computer solve the problem in a worse case scenario and restore the new updated version?

Obviously I will have instructions on how to update but, you know things can happen.

JIM
        Last edited by Wfjh; 08-06-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wfjh View Post
          To be clear, the end user must uninstall the current version prior to installing the new version update exe? Right?

If so, Is it better to use the windows uninstaller or launch the exe installer for my software program and select uninstall?
          Yes, I typically just go to Add and Remove programs and uninstall from there. The new installations, in the next update, will make this unnecessary.

I guess it is wise to advise them to do a backup of their data but, not to use it because their data will be there after they update..... (Just don't want them to get mad if something happens during the process)
          Sure, no harm in telling them to backup before updates.

Does changing the software version make a difference?
          You won't need to worry about it in the next update. For now, just add one to the version to make sure Windows sees it as an upgrade. So if it was 2.4 then make it 2.4.1. I will be handling the versioning in the next update.

What if a end user messes something up and installs their back up and it changes the layout back to the prior version... could they run the "Repair Installation" like I did to solve the issue?
          Exactly! The Repair will reinstall the program and when they run it the software will update the main database with the new forms and editors.

Would overwriting the .esb the old layout file with the new layout file on the end users computer solve the problem in a worse case scenario and restore the new updated version?
          I am not sure what you mean here. Don't manually overwrite anything. You essentially did that when you restored and your new editors weren't there. The software has an update feature for upgrades. Let it do it's magic.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

A few more questions for clarification....

When I select a ESB project in the builder and click on "Save As", it saves the file with the word "Clone" at the end of the file/project name.
            So, if I add editors etc... to the "clone" project and create an .EXE file from the 'Cloned" file can it be used as the update/upgrade to a previous deployed software to end-users?

Trying to keep the original ESB Project.... Create a clone and use that as the update/upgrade .... That way I can keep all previous versions.

Can a update/upgrade that I send out have a different activation serial code? or does it need to remain the same as the original software that I sold them?

Besides the end-user changing the path of the installation directory during the install, is there anything that we can't /should not change in our update/upgrade we send out?

I think you said that Windows will recognize the version from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 as an upgrade, right?

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by Wfjh View Post
              Thomas,

A few more questions for clarification....

When I select a ESB project in the builder and click on "Save As", it saves the file with the word "Clone" at the end of the file/project name.
              So, if I add editors etc... to the "clone" project and create an .EXE file from the 'Cloned" file can it be used as the update/upgrade to a previous deployed software to end-users?

Trying to keep the original ESB Project.... Create a clone and use that as the update/upgrade .... That way I can keep all previous versions.
              No, cloning a project will result in an entirely different software installation. I would just make copies of the actual project file if you want to create different versions.

Can a update/upgrade that I send out have a different activation serial code? or does it need to remain the same as the original software that I sold them?
              Yes, it should update the activation code during the upgrade process. Just like it updates all the forms and editors.

Besides the end-user changing the path of the installation directory during the install, is there anything that we can't /should not change in our update/upgrade we send out?

I think you said that Windows will recognize the version from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 as an upgrade, right?

JIM
              Right, Windows will look at the 1.0.1 as an upgrade.

This won't be necessary in the next update. I am taking care of the versioning since it can lead to weird results.

Nothing else needs to be done on your user end. They just install and run.

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by TigerSoftware View Post
                Right, Windows will look at the 1.0.1 as an upgrade.

This won't be necessary in the next update. I am taking care of the versioning since it can lead to weird results.

Nothing else needs to be done on your user end. They just install and run.

Thomas
                I probably should be more clear on how you will want to structure multiple versions of your project.

Create your project and when finished copy and paste the file. Rename the new copy to Pro or whatever. Then you can add the new file to ESB and make your changes. The copy and the original will have the same installation id's (cloning changes the installation id's).

In the next update, I will be taking care of what I call version intervals. So you would set the original version 1.0. Then you can set the update version 1.1. I will be taking that 1.0 and 1.1 and adding a interval everytime you build the project and create your exe. So that 1.0 will end up 1.0.1 and the 1.1 will end up as 1.1.1. Your versions will always be incremented. Meaning, you never have to change the 1.0 or the 1.1 if you don't want. I will still be adding an increment to them every time you build.

The means when your user installs the 1.1 version, it will automatically update the 1.0 original version.

I'm assuming you are wanting to sell different versions of the same program. Like Express and Pro.

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by TigerSoftware View Post
                  I'm assuming you are wanting to sell different versions of the same program. Like Express and Pro.

Thomas
                  Well, yes that is one thing I was thinking about... I have a few more questions. I understand the cloning of the ESB file using the "Save As" in the builder and eventually changing down the line going from 1.xx.xx up to a 2.xx.xx will change the installation id?

Going from version 1.x.x.1 to 1.x.x.2 incremental changes doesn't change the installation id.....

Also are there any other things that would change the installation id on an existing ESB project such as any of the following? (I want to be able to keep upgrading the same program and send to existing customers)
                  - changing the activation serial code
                  - changing or adding the html to the activation/trial area prior to building an exe
                  - adding something to the software name like MY SOFTWARE PROGRAM to MY SOFTWARE PROGRAM PRO
                  - adding new editors to one or more "Forms" (Object)
                  - creating a relationship between two or more "Forms" (Objects)
                  - adding new "Form(s)" (Objects) to an existing ESB project

After coping an existing .ESB file (as you mentioned above to keep the same installation id) can you add something to the file name after coping? (MYSOFTWAREPRO.ESB to MYSOFTWARENAMEPRO.ESB)

------------
                  Also, what if I reach the 2.XX.XX version of my software and the installation id changes..... would the existing customer be able to use a backup file they made prior to upgrading from the 1.0 to the 2.0 version? (again this would be the same program except for the new add ons such as Editors and or Forms etc.. over the course of time)

Thanks,
                  JIM

Comment

I don't want to get into how installations work, but you don't change the installation ids. Windows uses them to figure out if it is a new software being installed or an existing software that needs to be updated.

No, changing the version has nothing to do with the installation id.

Yes, they can override your forms if they do a restore on an older backup. You can let them know to do another backup after they install the upgrade. I sometimes have to change the database structure, like in the upcoming version, when a ESB version changes. If they did a restore, from an older database, that would screw up the software. Honestly, I don't think I have ever had an issue in my 10+ years.

Has there been anything with the current update process that has caused a problem with you or one of your customers? You can test out the upgrades, on your computer, before sending them out.

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                    X