X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Scripts From The Main Program

Hi All,

I am still working way too hard on this. haha

I finally got through an issue that has had this release tied up. I had to change the way some of the rest stuff was working. And that led to an issue that I couldn't figure out up until this morning. Anyway, since I am setting up automation to work with a multitude of products, I wanted some feedback on how we are currently running the Auto scripts.

As of right now, when you have a Auto script set up for a form, you can schedule the script to run on the server through the main program. Remember, as of right now, all of the scripts run on the server. Something Robbie has hated. haha So I was wondering if you wanted this to run immediately instead of running it on the server.

We will still have scripts running on the server. You can schedule scripts to run based on time periods and still have auto scripts run based on properties changed. That will work the same. This is just another option for your users to run a script from the main software program. Running it immediately will get you immediate feedback. Say you want to update a field, on your form, with some piece of data on the internet. Currently that script would be scheduled on the server and then the user would have to refresh the form. The way I am thinking would run it immediately and then the form would change with the new fields. The downside is the user has to wait for the script to run before they can continue using the software. I don't think that will be a big deal since I will show a waiting splash screen to notify they are working.

I have a feeling I know what everyone will want but decided to check before I make this change. I am already doing something similar with the Rest Forms so it isn't a big change. That is it isn't a big enough change to slow down the release.

Regards,

Thomas

Immediate is better in some situations for sure, imo. That's the way most users are accustomed to using software anyway, so it matches what they already expect. They make a change and it runs immediately and they have to wait x-amount of time for the result. Good idea! That will be appropriate for some situations and the scheduled scripts appropriate for others.

Mel

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Bel View Post
      Immediate is better in some situations for sure, imo. That's the way most users are accustomed to using software anyway, so it matches what they already expect. They make a change and it runs immediately and they have to wait x-amount of time for the result. Good idea! That will be appropriate for some situations and the scheduled scripts appropriate for others.

Mel
      There will be two ways for the Auto scripts to run. Like right now, you can set up criteria that checks to see if the record matches the criteria when it is changed and saved. That will continue to work the same way. The other way is selecting a record and clicking the script to run. That will probably change to being ran immediately instead of being scheduled to run on the server.

Hopefully I am not confusing you. haha

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by TigerSoftware View Post
        There will be two ways for the Auto scripts to run. Like right now, you can set up criteria that checks to see if the record matches the criteria when it is changed and saved. That will continue to work the same way. The other way is selecting a record and clicking the script to run. That will probably change to being ran immediately instead of being scheduled to run on the server.

Hopefully I am not confusing you. haha

Thomas
        Unless everyone wants to run the script immediately when the criteria matches? Only run the scheduled scripts on the server. Now I am getting confused! haha

Thomas

Comment

Well, I probably don't have it 100% visualized correctly, but it sounds like a good option to have nevertheless. Lol.

Comment

Well, I probably don't have it 100% visualized correctly, but it sounds like a good option to have nevertheless. Lol.

That would be my fault. Hopefully I can make better training materials. I just picked up a large monitor to help with the video editing. It wasn't easy on a 15 inch laptop.

Thomas

Comment

Late to the party haha
              Not dead...Mel has (unknown to her) put a vice to my brain trying to
              work out some payment options that her & Joan want with the WP plugin..
              so been working on that while waiting BUT...

Agreed...immediate option would be awesome. yeahh!!!
              I hate it HAHA (slang for i really love it man :P )

even for simple things like updating changes a client might do to their address, website, google map
              all these would update or run upon saving...that's a great idea..or even some things where
              an expression is used to update a field then i have it so if that field has changed another script runs...later
              But i wanted it really to run immediately..if it did it would be perfect..and i was going to share this script
              and others later but the plugin is tying me up..a little.

Great idea..needed. Thank you.
              I do believe, from what i have done, i know it would benefit all too.
              SORRY it was such a pain...its like i find too...you see/find a different or better way to do something
              but then you need to go back and change the way a script/php/code whatever works...

So..go ahead.PLEASE lol

Robbie

Comment

Robbie, there is a couple of ways this can play out.

First scenario, we keep the way the criteria works and run the Auto script on the server when a record matches that criteria. Then we give the users an option to click on a record and select a script to run immediately.

Second scenario, we don't run any Auto scripts on the server. We just run them immediately. Including the records that match that criteria. That means only the Scheduled scripts would run on the server. Of course this could slow down the main program since it would be running the scripts even if I am doing it multi threaded.

Thomas

P.S. Mel and Joan will always keep you busy.

Comment

yup,
                  that's ok...i guess once you got it to that point be good to test it and see...but its a great option anyway...thank you.

Robbie, there is a couple of ways this can play out.

First scenario, we keep the way the criteria works and run the Auto script on the server when a record matches that criteria. Then we give the users an option to click on a record and select a script to run immediately.

Second scenario, we don't run any Auto scripts on the server. We just run them immediately. Including the records that match that criteria. That means only the Scheduled scripts would run on the server. Of course this could slow down the main program since it would be running the scripts even if I am doing it multi threaded.

Thomas

Comment

The second scenario sounds best, but will the scripts that run immediately start fast and update the records fast that have minor changes or whatever?

I know you want to maintain the integrity of the data, but I think I read somewhere Robbie saying the scripts taking 10 seconds or so to even start on simple updates/processes (?). Not sure I have that correct by the way...or will starting immediately eliminate some or all of that initial delay?

Haha..yeah, we tend to have that effect...

Comment

The second scenario sounds best, but will the scripts that run immediately start fast and update the records fast that have minor changes or whatever?

I know you want to maintain the integrity of the data, but I think I read somewhere Robbie saying the scripts taking 10 seconds or so to even start on simple updates/processes (?). Not sure I have that correct by the way...or will starting immediately eliminate some or all of that initial delay?

Haha..yeah, we tend to have that effect...
                      Yes, the scripts would run when the person clicks the save button and the user will have to wait until it is finished before they can move onto something else. That was the biggest benefit of using the server. The scripts could run, in a different process, and not affect the user.

The Auto scripts can run in two different ways. When the user selects a record and clicks the Run Script drop down. Or they automatically run when the person changes a record and clicks save. Basically, when the user makes an update and clicks save then the software checks the record to see if it matches a Auto script criteria. If it does match then it will run that automation script. Don't forget you could have multiple scripts that could run if the criteria matches.

That is why I am asking because it isn't a big deal with the first scenario. The user selects a record and then clicks on a script to run. They know what to expect because they started it. Now when the script runs based on the record meeting some criteria then we have the issue. The user may not remember they even have that script set up to run or remember what criteria they have for that script. That means the software will show a wait sign when the user clicks save and they may not even know what is happening since all they did was click the save button and it is telling me to wait.

With that said, I do like the immediate response as well. I'll have to think about this a little because the second scenario could become a problem which is why I am leaning towards scenario one.

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                      X