Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covert Advertising Idea I just thought up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covert Advertising Idea I just thought up...

What if you create a really useful software application in a high demand niche.

You allow the program to be given away with PLR rights, resell rights, etc. (but no re-branding ability)

It gets spread to hundreds or thousands of places.

But what they dont know is you setup a couple browser objects within the program's software objects (it initially just looks like blank spaces as the websites are blank with a background matching the background of the software)

Then voila! You one day "activate" your Covert Ads, and when the users go to log-on they see a highly targeted banner ad or email opt-in form for a free product (or CPA offer, or affiliate link)

Instantly granting a huge market exposure, meanwhile since no ads were initially shown, people weren't hesitant to forward the program along since "they" wouldn't be getting a cut of advertising revenue.

Just something that came to me just now :P

Thoughts?

PS - You would install an invisible "hit counter" on the blank browser objects to keep track of unique page loads etc. so you would know when the time is right.
    ================================================== =============

Do Not Just Crush Your Competitors - Absolutely KILL Them! - Click Here For Details

Submit Unlimited Content For Unlimited Backlinks to Over 4073 Niche Specific Blogs—> Syndicate Kahuna
    ================================================== =====

Originally posted by Dexx View Post
    What if you create a really useful software application in a high demand niche.

You allow the program to be given away with PLR rights, resell rights, etc. (but no re-branding ability)

It gets spread to hundreds or thousands of places.

But what they dont know is you setup a couple browser objects within the program's software objects (it initially just looks like blank spaces as the websites are blank with a background matching the background of the software)

Then voila! You one day "activate" your Covert Ads, and when the users go to log-on they see a highly targeted banner ad or email opt-in form for a free product (or CPA offer, or affiliate link)

Instantly granting a huge market exposure, meanwhile since no ads were initially shown, people weren't hesitant to forward the program along since "they" wouldn't be getting a cut of advertising revenue.

Just something that came to me just now :P

Thoughts?

PS - You would install an invisible "hit counter" on the blank browser objects to keep track of unique page loads etc. so you would know when the time is right.
    You got to be very careful Dexx. You really want to be upfront about your promotions to people that buy your resell rights (it wouldn't be PLR because you're not allowing them to rebrand it).

I think this will piss of some of your resellers. Just be upfront and give them the chance to decide if they should promote you through your software. It is always great to give them an awesome deal regarding resell rights so this won't be a problem.

Thomas

Comment

Covert Advertising

Dexx:

Thomas hit the nail on the head with his comments. Underhanded marketing will come back to haunt you. Recently started to fill out a cute IQ test that had lead in "MIT ...". Had ten questions with four choices each. Was curious about their mode. Then the page snuck me into the promoter wanting to get info on my cell phone provider before they would process the answers I had given them. That was the end for me. Site had passed snifter test so I wasn't worried about virus, plants, etc.
      It just reconfirmed my suspicions about Internet marketing people. They're all crooks. Only kidding!

Best regards,
      John Burns

"They envy the distinction I have won; let them therefore, envy my toils, my honesty, and the methods by which I gained it." Caius Sallustius Crispus

Comment

Ah very good points, I was initially not thinking "resell" as in for money, but more of a "feel free to also give this product away for free"

basically just thinking of different ways to have a program go viral without people realizing it was going viral

but now that I think about it, you're both right :-(

heh, ah well, I'm still trying to get the hang of the whole "viral marketing" side of things...back to the drawing board!

Cheers :-)

-Dexx

Do Not Just Crush Your Competitors - Absolutely KILL Them! - Click Here For Details

Submit Unlimited Content For Unlimited Backlinks to Over 4073 Niche Specific Blogs—> Syndicate Kahuna

Comment

Ah very good points, I was initially not thinking "resell" as in for money, but more of a "feel free to also give this product away for free"

basically just thinking of different ways to have a program go viral without people realizing it was going viral

but now that I think about it, you're both right :-(

heh, ah well, I'm still trying to get the hang of the whole "viral marketing" side of things...back to the drawing board!

Cheers :-)

-Dexx
          Dexx, don't make it so tough.

I will tell you what works and works really well.

Create a great product, add a sales page or even put together some graphics and give it away with master resell rights. You can even charge a low fee to make some money on the front end.

It works out fantastic because people can just put the sales page up and send their lists to the sales page. It doesn't require them any work.

Heck, purchase some private label ebook that compliments your software and add even more value to the offering. You can add links into the ebook just like you did in the software.

Bang, viral marketing!

It does work and works really nicely. I have a lot of software out there right now that I did the exact same thing. I can change the website redirect that gets displayed in all of the software programs and have instant traffic to any new sales page I put up.

Just keep doing that and it will build up.

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by TigerSoftware View Post
            Dexx, don't make it so tough.

I will tell you what works and works really well.

Create a great product, add a sales page or even put together some graphics and give it away with master resell rights. You can even charge a low fee to make some money on the front end.

It works out fantastic because people can just put the sales page up and send their lists to the sales page. It doesn't require them any work.

Heck, purchase some private label ebook that compliments your software and add even more value to the offering. You can add links into the ebook just like you did in the software.

Bang, viral marketing!

It does work and works really nicely. I have a lot of software out there right now that I did the exact same thing. I can change the website redirect that gets displayed in all of the software programs and have instant traffic to any new sales page I put up.

Just keep doing that and it will build up.

Thomas
            Hi Thomas:

In between gasps for air, would you write a brief explanation for internet marketing neophytes like myself on the terms and examples you gave Dexx.

For example, what do you mean by a "sales page"?

What are "master resell rights"?

And sending "lists to the sales page"; what are the lists, who would have them and where do they come from or how are they created?

What is a "private ebook" that would complement the software?

If others in the community know about these terms and examples I'd appreciate their input to.

Thanks,

John Burns

Comment

I have heard of some of these things. When you are reading a webpage and realize the author is telling you that this is your lucky day and if you act fast and click on the payment button (usually located about 2/3rds of the way down the page, you are looking at a sales page.

There are many places online in which ebooks, or guides, are sold. You probably have seen or bought some of these. However, in some cases, you may be offered not only the ebook, but the right to sell copies to others. That is called resale rights or RR. And, sometimes, you may be offered, for a higher fee, the rights to sell the rights to resell copies of the ebook to others. And, this is known as master resale rights or MRR.

In a few cases, you may be offered the ability to not only resell the ebook, but change the content and put your own name on it. This is known as private label rights, or PLR.

So, what are lists? Some websites and some sales pages, have a block of text or a popup that offers the visitor a free product or information in return for the visitor signing up for the list that belongs to the site. All the visitor has to do is give his name and email address and agree to receive the emails or newsletters sent out at intervals of time, usually a week apart. The people who sign up for this are members of a particular list. Lists are widely used by many of us to maintain a group of people we can send information or special offers to. Autoresponder software is used to manage each list.

What is a private ebook? Thomas probably meant to refer to an ebook or guide that is delivered with your software product to enhance the product or make it appear more valuable. The ebook in this case would be complimentary to the software. You might want to write your own ebook to go with your software or purchase resale rights to an ebook written by someone else.

Does this make any sense?
              Alton
              Last edited by Alton; 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fortesque View Post
                Hi Thomas:

In between gasps for air, would you write a brief explanation for internet marketing neophytes like myself on the terms and examples you gave Dexx.

For example, what do you mean by a "sales page"?

What are "master resell rights"?

And sending "lists to the sales page"; what are the lists, who would have them and where do they come from or how are they created?

What is a "private ebook" that would complement the software?

If others in the community know about these terms and examples I'd appreciate their input to.

Thanks,

John Burns

Hi John,

Not to worry, I breathe through my ears.

I do think we will be getting more and more people who do not know much about internet marketing. TSB appeals to such a broad market that I need to remember to explain some of these concepts further.

Alton, who anyone here could learn a lot from, pretty much summed it up for my post.

A lot of internet marketers spend time creating a list of prospects or maintaining a list of people that purchased other products from them. Very similar to offline businesses. It seems everytime I go to a store like Best Buy or other retail establishments, they are trying to get my email address. That is to continue marketing to me which is the same as most internet marketers.

So we have a list of prospects or buyers all ready but need something to sell to them.

That is where you or Dexx come in. You offer them a license to resell your software (Resell Rights) or if you want this to go everywhere on the internet you offer them a license that allows them to give a license to other people to resell (Master Resell Rights). I know this can be confusing because I just confused the heck out of myself. Basically, with Master Resell Rights, you are allowing them to sell a license to people to allow them to resell the product. Kind of like you selling a resell rights license.

The Master Resell Rights and Resell Rights really makes a product go viral but is best meant for low priced items because it can and will drive down the value of your product.

Alton said it better, but sometimes to make the offer great you purchase a pdf book or ebook from someone else that gives you the source code or word document in which you can brand it yourself or change the text. This is known as private label. We can do this with our software using the Tiger Software Brander as well.

The sales page is what the buyer will read when he purchases the product. It can be a nice review of your product with benefits to the buyers.

To put this all together.

We create a sales page of our software product simply because we know what the benefits to using the program will be to the buyer.

You can purchase a already written ebook that allows us to change the text (Private Label) and we brand it with links to other products we are selling or to our own websites.

We put in our banners and websites into our software.

Put the whole package together and sell it to other internet marketers within the niche or just give it to them. I would keep the price low because your goal is for this software to go out to as many people as possible.

The buyers will normally buy a domain,upload your sales page and then email their lists about the product which will make them sales.

When those people run the software they see your banners and websites.

Hopefully between Alton and I this makes sense.

Thomas

Comment

Or to add to all that, you could offer a free copy of your software as a bonus if they purchase something else from you.
                  Steve

Comment

Covert Ad: internet marketing lingo

Thomas, Alton & Steve:

Thanks for your very apt description of internet marketing terms and conditions . I have a much better idea of what is involved after your helpful responses.

Best regards,
                    John Burns

Comment

Thomas can you clarify something for me?

I'm just trying to figure out if I have the viral / lead generation strategy down.

1) Create Product with Banners and a Browser object for users to "register" their product for future updates and advice (opt-in to my list though)

2) Sell software with Master Resell rights and branding ability so others can change the banner to their own affiliate link (don't know if they can change the browser URL? Can they?)

3) The people that purchased the software then sell the software or give it away as an incentive for others to join THEIR email list.

4) End user opens the software, and uses it...the banners go to the affiliate link of the reseller, but they can also opt-in to my browser opt-in page for future updates (building my list as well)

Is this the viral strategy in a nutshell, or am I missing something? Will people get mad if I have my own opt-in form in the software?

I mean if I was creating a PDF eBook with resell rights, I'd still have links to my own affiliate stuff inside, so it can't be too upsetting? Plus they'd be able to rebrand the banners with their own links?

Ack! So confused!

-Dexx

Comment

Hi Dexx,

I wouldn't require any optin to use the software if you plan on letting others resell it or give it away. It will make them angry.

Just load up browsers and/or banners instead. People will click on them because they are normally curious, especially when they get a new piece of software.

Have your opt ins on a webpage that they click to via a banner.

Thomas

Comment

I misworded that, sorry, ya I meant just have a browser with an optional opt-in for free future updates, not a mandatory registration.

But you recommend just have a banner that people can click for Free Updates? Couldnt someone who rebrands it remove that banner tho?

If I do a browser object it will always be there...(I think? Unless they can change browsers too?)

Comment

I misworded that, sorry, ya I meant just have a browser with an optional opt-in for free future updates, not a mandatory registration.

But you recommend just have a banner that people can click for Free Updates? Couldnt someone who rebrands it remove that banner tho?

If I do a browser object it will always be there...(I think? Unless they can change browsers too?)
                            Hi Dexx,

You can still add the browser object which I like to use myself.

I don't make people opt in to use the software when allowing others to resell my products. I do show websites and banners in which you can ask for the optin.

I didn't say anything about letting the rebrand it just resell it. You don't want them to rebrand it because they will make it theirs. Just give them a resell license or master resell license. No branding.

I think you are stuck thinking about free updates and not seeing what I am saying.

Thomas

Comment

Would people want to resell something knowing that you're advertising stuff within it that benefits yourself and not them?

Would I be able to charge a lot more to allow them the ability to rebrand it then?

$27 - with Resell rights

$47 - with Master Resell / Branding Rights?

something like that?

I understand what you mean about the opt-in form, I was mentioning the "free updates" as an incentive for people to provide their email address, kind of like having people "register" for an extended warranty, y'know? :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X