Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Improvement! Confirmation about a couple of things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Improvement! Confirmation about a couple of things...

Hi Thomas!

We quickly made a build of a project and it's working great!

I see you've taken the build process out from visibility and made the installation uncomplicated. Really nice.

I just wanted to ask for confirmation about these few things for this update:

1. Both .exe and the desktop shortcuts for both creators and customers never need to be right-clicked and run as admin, right?

2. The requirement files are automatically downloaded for both creators and customers always?

3. Do the customers have the ability now to add web page urls to the side browser as well as the creators?

4. Does the "Read Only" option simply eliminate the ability to add new attachments or is there more to it?

I know the answer to a couple of these already, Thomas, but I thought to ask anyway for anyone looking these things up on the forum.

Thanks again for another awesome update, Thomas!

Mel
    Last edited by Mel Bel; 08-06-2019, 07:24 AM.

Originally posted by Mel Bel View Post
    Hi Thomas!

We quickly made a build of a project and it's working great!

I see you've taken the build process out from visibility and made the installation uncomplicated. Really nice.

I just wanted to ask for confirmation about these few things for this update:

1. Both .exe and the desktop shortcuts for both creators and customers never need to be right-clicked and run as admin, right?

2. The requirement files are automatically downloaded for both creators and customers always?

3. Do the customers have the ability now to add web page urls to the side browser as well as the creators?

4. Does the "Read Only" option simply eliminate the ability to add new attachments or is there more to it?

I know the answer to a couple of these already, Thomas, but I thought to ask anyway for anyone looking these things up on the forum.

Thanks again for another awesome update, Thomas!

Mel
    Thanks Mel.

That will be how the installations work for all programs soon enough.

1) No need to run as administrator.

2) Yes, all requirements will be downloaded as part of the installation. No need for your customers to download a extra file. It does it all for them.

3) Depends if the project is readonly or not. If not readonly, then they can add web urls. If readonly they cannot.

4) Readonly makes the whole project readonly. Including all documents. They can open documents and interact with them but cannot save. Well, I think the Kanban allows them to interact with existing cards and save changes to those cards. They cannot add new cards. The Pdf document allows them to add notes but nothing else. All other documents are readonly.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

Jeff Penchoff here. Hopefully you remember me as a longtime customer and fellow developer. (Can you say Product Presto?)

I'm choosing to reply to this thread vs opening a new topic as hopefully my questions / concerns are somewhat trivial. Here goes...

When installing the latest version of FreedomMap I attempted to install on my D drive in a D:\Applications folder. (My C: drive is my 256 gb SSD boot drive and I don't need it filling up with other software. VS 2017 / 2019 and SQL Server are quite enough thank you so I install all other software to my 1 tb SSD D: drive if I can.) However the app still installed in the Program Files (x86) folder which I'd rather it didn't do. Did I do something wrong?

After selecting Share and creating a new customized version of the mindmap it created an exe file as expected. However when I try to run it on the same machine that FreedomMap is installed on it fails and throws a "Another version of this product is already installed..." error. I just want to test the exe I'd be sending someone out without having to use another computer. Is this possible? The exe file is named completely differently from FM. Also the message box has the name "FreedomMap" in it vs the name of "my" application. Can this issue be addressed in a future version of the app? I'd like to be able quickly test the changes I've made without the hassle of using two machines or creating a VM just for this purpose.

Or, once again, am I doing something wrong? Any help / guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for a fast reply.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpenchoff View Post
        Thomas,

Jeff Penchoff here. Hopefully you remember me as a longtime customer and fellow developer. (Can you say Product Presto?)

I'm choosing to reply to this thread vs opening a new topic as hopefully my questions / concerns are somewhat trivial. Here goes...

When installing the latest version of FreedomMap I attempted to install on my D drive in a D:\Applications folder. (My C: drive is my 256 gb SSD boot drive and I don't need it filling up with other software. VS 2017 / 2019 and SQL Server are quite enough thank you so I install all other software to my 1 tb SSD D: drive if I can.) However the app still installed in the Program Files (x86) folder which I'd rather it didn't do. Did I do something wrong?

After selecting Share and creating a new customized version of the mindmap it created an exe file as expected. However when I try to run it on the same machine that FreedomMap is installed on it fails and throws a "Another version of this product is already installed..." error. I just want to test the exe I'd be sending someone out without having to use another computer. Is this possible? The exe file is named completely differently from FM. Also the message box has the name "FreedomMap" in it vs the name of "my" application. Can this issue be addressed in a future version of the app? I'd like to be able quickly test the changes I've made without the hassle of using two machines or creating a VM just for this purpose.

Or, once again, am I doing something wrong? Any help / guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for a fast reply.

Jeff
        Hi Jeff,

Great to see you!

I feel your pain. I had to update my new laptop hard drive because of Visual Studio and testing all of my programs. I just tested FreedomMap again and the same thing happened to me. The program is designated to run as x86 because of the browser stuff which is why the default is Program Files (x86). I'll have to see if there is something I missed as to why you can't change the folder path.

Yes, that new exe would error out since FreedomMap is already installed. Every program installation has a unique id and the way I am keeping track of upgrades is by using the same id. So when you create a exe, by clicking the share button, it will create a exe file that uses the same id as the one installed. Windows will view that exe as already having it installed and you get that error. Make sure and reinstall FreedomMap afterward so you have all the share options available to you. This isn't ideal and I wish I could have come up with a better way of you testing your shares. The issue comes from a program like FreedomMap being able to create other programs and then those programs can create other programs and so on... That is why I used the same id for FreedomMap and all programs FreedomMap creates.

You can uninstall FreedomMap and install your program to test it or you can run something like Virtual Box, like I do, with a clean Windows machine. Microsoft has free downloads of different Windows versions.

Thomas

Comment

Good to see you doing well Thomas.

Please do take a look at optionally changing the install path. There's nothing that I can see that requires a C drive install. This is .Net right?

There's got to be a better way of controlling versions / releases / upgrades that would be beneficial for all involved. Let me take a look at some of my past research and brain storm this. Hopefully I can come up with a few suggestions. I do use Virtual Box from time to time but I hate jumping through hoops just to check my endlessly perfectionist tiny changes. I understand why you're doing it the way you are though. It's a program that creates a program that can create programs...

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, I'll take a look and see if I can save another unique id for the sharing.

Yeah, this is .net. The installation is probably something pertaining to the install tech and not .net. The install path should work. It's probably something I missed since I am using this stuff in ways that most wouldn't.

Thanks!

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpenchoff View Post

There's got to be a better way of controlling versions / releases / upgrades that would be beneficial for all involved. Let me take a look at some of my past research and brain storm this. Hopefully I can come up with a few suggestions. I do use Virtual Box from time to time but I hate jumping through hoops just to check my endlessly perfectionist tiny changes. I understand why you're doing it the way you are though. It's a program that creates a program that can create programs...

Keep up the good work.

Jeff
              This feature has been added. You will now be able to create setups that won't interfere with each other.

Example is FreedomMap building a setup file. Before you couldn't install and test it because it interfered with the FreedomMap installation. Now you will be able to build the setup and install it to test it without interfering with FreedomMap.

This works with all single projects, for all Xtreme programs, that you build setup files for.

Will be in the next update.

Thomas

P.S. Still haven't figure out the installation path issue. Not sure why it isn't accepting the user selected path.

Comment

That's a good update (including the others). We had to prepare a guide just for explaining the interference issue and provide some alternative testing suggestions. Now we won't have to do that. You've got these Xtreme programs more refined now, Thomas. Good work!

Mel

Comment

That's a good update (including the others). We had to prepare a guide just for explaining the interference issue and provide some alternative testing suggestions. Now we won't have to do that. You've got these Xtreme programs more refined now, Thomas. Good work!

Mel
                  Thanks Mel. A lot of work, but I do like how they turned out. Hopefully this next update will refine them enough to allow me to get back to refining ESB/Smartflo/Premium PLR programs. haha

Thomas

Comment

Lol. Yes, the refining process must now be applied to the main thing or it will cease to be the main thing. (ESB, I mean. I've always seen that as the main thing).

Mel

Comment

Lol. Yes, the refining process must now be applied to the main thing or it will cease to be the main thing. (ESB, I mean. I've always seen that as the main thing).

Mel
                      ESB and Smartflo was suppose to be the main thing. The other stuff was to help keep money coming in so I could finish up those programs. They sometimes take on a life of their own.

That is the major problem with programs that take years to fully implement when you don't have the financing like the big dogs. There probably would only be ESB and Smartflo if there was financial backing. It is what it is and we do what we must to get it all done. I just appreciate all the patience everyone has shown me throughout this process.

Thomas

Comment

Nice updates, Thomas. Everything working decent since this newest update for Xtreme.

Thanks!

Mel

Comment

Nice updates, Thomas. Everything working decent since this newest update for Xtreme.

Thanks!

Mel

Thanks for letting me know Mel. I was about to block you if you said otherwise. haha

Thomas

Comment

Being able to now install the builds created without the customer having to uninstall the creator program first or test on another machine is a major improvement for sure. Working great in my testing. (I get to avoid being blocking. Yay!)

Mel

Comment

Working...
                            X