Amazon is now in the virtualization business.

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
Good news for us!

Amazon is out with a new service called Workspaces.

It basically allows people from anywhere and with any device to use your software.

Amazon WorkSpaces is a fully managed desktop computing service in the cloud. Amazon WorkSpaces allows customers to easily provision cloud-based desktops that allow end-users to access the documents, applications and resources they need with the device of their choice, including laptops, iPad, Kindle Fire, or

Looks like we can tap into the tablet market (IPad, Android) and Mac environments with this type of service.

All WorkSpaces Bundles provide the Windows 7 Experience to users (provided by Windows Server 2008 R2). Microsoft Office 2010 Professional includes Microsoft Excel 2010, Microsoft OneNote 2010, Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, Microsoft Word 2010, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Publisher 2010 and Microsoft Access 2010.

These choices enable you to select the right mix of hardware resources for different groups of users in your organization and provide users the applications they need installed in their WorkSpace. You can also install any other software that you already own licenses for in your WorkSpaces at any time.

http://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/details/#desktop-and-mobile-clients

Thomas

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
After reading more, this will be perfect for software as a service (SAAS) type of billing.

The Amazon WorkSpaces service does all this heavy lifting for you. With a few clicks of a mouse in the AWS Management Console, you can create your high-quality desktop experience for any number of users. The Amazon WorkSpaces service provisions a WorkSpace for each user and users can connect to their workspace using tablets, PCs, and Macs. When your organization grows and needs to scale with users, you do not need to procure new hardware or install new complex VDI software. You tell the service how many new WorkSpaces you need and what bundle to use. The service will provision the hardware based on the bundle configuration and provide a consistent high-quality desktop experience to each user. You pay only for the WorkSpaces you provision each month. When you need to turn off a user’s WorkSpace – for example, a contractor leaves your company after completing her assignments – you can stop paying for the WorkSpace at the end of the month.

http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2013/11/...ional-virtual-desktop-infrastructure-vdi.html

Thomas

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds very interesting T. Can see where it would be great in a variety of settings.
Thanks!

Welcome Back! You back in the states now?

Yeah, this will be pretty big. I can see setting up a service to allow companies and their personnel access to the software on one of these virtual machines.

Charge a monthly fee for each user. My sister is a lawyer and has plans to run her own practice. I will probably set one up for her and set up her software using ESB. Of course, that got me thinking of selling a service to other lawyers for a monthly fee (setup fee as well).

To be honest, I already have plans to hit a market with this type of setup. Since many of their people will be out in the field, I was thinking I would have to go web on this but not now. Hopefully Amazon has this running good on mobile connections.

It may be a good upgrade for ESB to allow people to login not only as a username but under a company. :cool: That will allow people to sell the software as a service as well.

Thomas

howdab2

It may be a good upgrade for ESB to allow people to login not only as a username but under a company. That will allow people to sell the software as a service as well.

:D

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
It may be a good upgrade for ESB to allow people to login not only as a username but under a company. That will allow people to sell the software as a service as well.

:D

haha If Amazon can streamline this on mobile to the point it is very usable, a lot of my business model will be going that way.

Imagine realtors going out and bringing up your software on their tablets to check out comparable sales or to digitally sign contracts. :eek:

So, yeah, there will be some updates to ESB to allow this type of service. :cool:

Thomas