Date Formatting for CSV Imports

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Thomas!

I noted in your API tutorial videos how you had different date options to deal with the different kind of dates some companies use for their APIs.

So I was wondering if those different date options might be added somehow to the standard editors we have in ESB, because some exported CSVs have different date formats.

For example, here is one I've been seeing a lot:

3/19/2020 11:04

Date and time in one column, but it has to be imported in ESB as "Text" not "Date" or it won't import.

Or maybe there is a workaround I haven't thought of - a different way to get the formatting right with the date editor available?

Thanks!

Mel

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mel,

That sounds like a feature I need to add to the importing. I wasn't sure if anyone was even using importing! :)

I'll definitely figure something out. We need to import those dates.

Thomas

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of these marketplaces allow CSV exports and their date formatting is like the example I gave. Dates are definitely useful for filtering, but hard to filter them when they have to be imported as text. :)

Thanks!

Mel

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not using the date editor for the grid form, because I already know from previous times that the date editor will not import the dates from a CSV with the format in my example, so I don't add a date editor to the grid, I just use a text editor instead and import as text. In the past it won't import the dates using the date editor, so I don't add it any more.

Mel

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
So basically, my using a text editor to import the dates is my current workaround to get the dates imported, because I can't do it with the date editor. :)

Mel

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Thomas!

The reason I posted this in the "How, What, Where..." section originally is because it's just something I was pointing out and asking about for a workaround that might be known by you or someone (I thought this was probably already well known about the date editor).

I was going to post it in the "ESB Wishlist" section, but thought asking for a workaround qualified for the other.

I have no current project file to debug or anything, but I'm about to start a new one and it came to mind after watching your API tutorials and seeing how you had the different date formatting options.

When I do projects though, it's the reason I don't use the date editor, and use just a text editor to import the dates into instead.

I'll try to do an import soon from a couple of different marketplaces and send you what I can in a new project I'll set up for that purpose.

Thanks!
Mel

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, not a problem Mel. I have to test the importing anyway since I made changes to the database stuff we discussed in the other thread. I would definitely like a copy of any csv files that you are using so I can see the date format being used.

Thomas

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, wow...never mind, Thomas. It works. Lol.

I created a project and imported a date/time format with the Date & Time editor, it worked, and then another import with just the date format and it worked too.

Maybe I haven't checked it in so long, I just assumed it still didn't work when it does now.

Sorry for wasting your time with it, but I'm glad it works! :)

I'll try to TEST everything first from now on before I ASSUME something doesn't work that didn't work previously.

Thanks!
Mel

TigerSoftware

Administrator
Staff member
I love these types of bugs! :)

Maybe it was a particular csv file that wasn't working. In any case, do let me know if you come across one that isn't working.

Thomas

Mel Bel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be it was a weird CSV file before, not sure. I will let you know if I come across any that won't import.

Yeah, these type of bugs are great, huh? Lol. :)

Mel